JOB TITLE: Payroll Accountant
LOCATION: Howard Street, San Francisco
SUPERVISOR: Director of Finance
BENEFITS: Kaiser HMO paid for employee, sick and vacation hours, voluntary dental and vision, 403b retirement plan
The Payroll Accountant will process payroll for 100+ employees using ADP Workforce Now. This position requires knowledge of current California and Federal employment laws with respect to employee hours, overtime liability and meal breaks due. This position is responsible for all employee changes and database maintenance. Additionally, this position handles a variety of accounting functions, including preparation of journal entries, account reconciliations and other similar tasks.
• Administers bi-weekly payroll processing, establishing policies and procedures.
• Manage accurate coding of payroll expense over multiple cost centers.
• Prepare journal entries to record payroll and related expenses.
• Process new hires, terminations and promotions based on information provided by HR.
• Collect, compile and input payroll data.
• Educate and train staff on effective use of ADP.
• Audit and reconcile time cards to ensure accuracy of data, including PTO, overtime and meal breaks.
• Ensure accuracy in deduction amounts, including garnishments and withholding orders.
• Calculation and processing of manual paychecks, as necessary.
• Complete year-end processing and issue W2’s timely and accurately.
• Cash, investment, payroll withholding and other balance sheet reconciliations.
• Timely completion of employment verifications and requests for employee information from government agencies.
• Review other journal entries and accounts payable processing, when necessary.
• Maintenance of payroll records.
• Research and resolve discrepancies in pay.
• Distribution of payroll checks and reports.
• Special projects and other duties as assigned.
• BA degree in accounting or equivalent experience.
• CPP certification is preferred.
• Three to five years prior accounting and payroll processing experience, preferably in a non-profit organization.
• Experience processing payroll with ADP Workforce Now and Time & Attendance.
• Basic understanding of federal, state, and local tax and wage laws.
• Excellent mathematical ability.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to resolve problems with tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with coworkers.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Working knowledge of Blackbaud Financial Edge software.
• Commitment to the mission of St. Vincent de Paul Society.
St. Vincent de Paul Society of San Francisco is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants for employment, with arrest and/or conviction records.
Please send a cover letter describing your interest and a resume of qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax: 415-977-1271